Monday, November 1, 2010

Quote

Here is a quote by Henri Nouwen from his book “Life of the Beloved”,
“Still, I’m thoroughly convinced that the origin and goal of our existence have everything to do with the ways we think, talk and act in our daily lives. When our deepest truth is that we are the Beloved and when our greatest joy and peace come from fully claiming that truth, it follows that this has to become visible and tangible in the ways we eat and drink, talk and love, play and work. When the deepest currents of our life no longer have any influence on the waters at the surface, then our vitality will eventually ebb, and we will end up listless and bored even when we are busy.” 

3 comments:

  1. It sounds pretty and is probably true, but how about practical applications? I'm interested in your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...Liz, I actually haven't thought that it wasn't practical (or didn't have any practical application.)
    Your security in the Lord and His love (Beloved) frees you to...be yourself and focus on "applying your talents" as opposed to being focused on what others think of you.
    When "who you are" is no longer known or lived by you or others...it either creates a sense of longing and loneliness (that I agree with a sermon I heard before are "given for a season to point us toward the purposes of the Lord"), or it becomes a state of existence, and you are not living out the purposes or not learning to wait on the Lord cultivating patience and endurance. I don't mean each one of us thinks in these exact terms, but the nagging sense of who you are, and how you live will be present in one form or another, I think. You probably can ignore it too for a season.

    As far as the quote being pretty...hahaha :) I think, one of the reasons I find Henri Nouwen's writings to be an essential life companion is that I "get" his words both on a heart and head levels.

    More thoughts here? I wonder what you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, I was listening to a sermon a few hours ago, and I was struck (well, almost literally :) by this verse.
    Romans 12:2 (ESV)
    "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."

    ReplyDelete